Monday, March 3, 2008

Tri To Help Indoor Triathlon

I competed in the Tri To Help Indoor Triathlon yesterday, which was held at Universal Fitness in Lancaster, PA. Proceeds from the event went to the Johns Hopkins Childhood Epilepsy Center.

The race was conducted as follows: 10 minute swim, 10 minute transition to the stationary bike, 30 minute bike, 5 minute transition to the treadmill and a 20 minute run. Results were based on distance completed.

Swim

My goal was to swim 500 yards, or 20 laps. I had a good warm-up, but as always, because of adrenalin, I went out too fast. This isn't a problem in a pool, but I have to learn to relax for open water events. I was huffing and puffing sooner than I wanted, but eventually got into a groove. I lost count of my laps, but when the whistle blew, I recorded 21, which was 25 yards more than my goal. Woohoo!!!

Bike

I felt really good on the bike. I maintained high RPMs and was able to record 14.15 miles. This averages out to a little better than 28 MPH. I wish I could do that outdoors.

Run

This was my best event. I recorded 3.09 miles on the treadmill. This is roughly a 20:10 5K. Running on the 'mill, however, is far easier than running outside. I'm not sure I could have done that on the road, especially after biking.

Overall, I came in 6th place. I was tied for 9th in the swim, 5th place on the bike and 3rd place on the run.

The event was well run, and it was very enjoyable. A great diversion to marathon training as well as a great early season triathlon event.

No comments: