Saturday, January 12, 2008

Skiing, Blue Mountain

I made my first runs of the season last evening at Blue Mountain Ski Area. I'm a chaperon for our High School Ski Club. Last night was our first night of five trips up to the Pocono Region (I'm not sure, however, if this area qualifies as being in the Poconos. The AT crosses right behind the resort, so technically and geologically, this area is in the Appalachians.).

I was worried about the conditions, because of the warm weather we were having this week, but it was some of the best skiing I have had in awhile. The snow was soft and granular. They have a 30" base, so bare spots on the main runs were nonexistent.

It felt good to be out on skis again, and I had a great time skiing with the rest of the chaperons, Molly, Dave, Anton, Jason, Joanna and Janet. It must be noted that Anton was born and raised in Sweden. His skiing ability is at a level beyond those of us who grew up skiing at Ski Roundtop. His hometown was located near the arctic circle; skiing was an integral part of PE class.

I'm looking forward to getting out again soon. I hope we get some snow and/or cold weather.

No comments: