Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years 2009 And Slightly Beyond

New Years Day for the last 10 years has been spent psyching myself up to plunge into the icy waters of the the Myerstown Quarry Lake. This year, we decided to take a trip to State College, Pennsylvania to visit our friends the Longeneckers and to watch the Rose Bowl with them.

We had a nice trip through the mountains, and arrived at their house around 2:00 p.m. They have a nice home that sits at the base of Mount Nittany, and has a view of Beaver Stadium, and the mountains to the north.

I won't mention much about the Rose Bowl, other than to say that ABC's coverage was the most pathetic broadcast of a sporting event that I ever witnessed. The Lovefest showered on USC by Herbstriet and Mussberger was sickening.

We spent Friday tooling around State College, then headed down the line to my dad and step mom's place and spent the evening and Saturday morning with them.

It was nice to get away for a little awhile, especially to the mountains, and to spend time with family and friends.

4 comments:

Van 1- Hall said...

Im no PSU fan, BIG 10 fan yes, but I can't watch USC play or listen to Corso or Herbstreit. They are horrible and so biased. The big 10 is taking its hits in the bowls...enjoy the new year!

Bert said...

Your friends the Longeneck(er)s? I used to have a friend like that and he got me into a lot of trouble.

Can't ABC retire that poor overworked retread Mussberger?

Fish have a great year, hope to see you in Boston!

Aaron said...

I couldn't have said it any better regarding the horrid coverage of the Rose Bowl by ABC. I'm still ticked at the BCS... Down with the BCS, I say. We need a playoff system in place and not leave it up to greedy pukes who put the teams THEY want in the "championship" game.

Ah well, at least we made it to the Rose Bowl, eh? Guess I can't complain too much. It's unfortunate we lost to USC, but that's what happens when you play the best team....


.....that money can buy, right? :-)

Van 1- Hall said...

one of my best friends just drove through your state yesterday, said it was amazing. he pitstopped in the Lewisburg and then headed home.