Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Dam Half Training Update

I officially dropped my registration form in the mail for the 2008 "Dam Half" to be held at R.B. Winter State Park, October 19th. This race is my fall "Marathon." I wanted to do something this fall, but I didn't want to train for a full marathon. This is my compromise, a trail run in the Appalachian Mountains.

I have been training consistently for events all year, but in the last week I shifted my focus back to a longer running event. I'm doing a FIRST style program, but I'm not adhering strictly to the plan/distances/times. I have also shifted some of my training to afternoons as opposed to strictly morning runs. To do this, I have to utilize a quarter mile loop around my house, because I have to keep an eye on the boys after school. I get them situated then I run around the house. At no time am I ever out of view for more than 30 seconds. I had to switch to afternoon training because of work requirements. I can't say that I relish running quarter mile loops, but I can get a consistent workout, and stay in shape. I also find that the benefit is that I run better in the afternoons.

Sunday: 20 mile bike ride @ 16.5 mph
Monday: off
Tuesday: 5 miles with 3 miles at short tempo pace @ 6:40
Wednesday: 18 mile bike ride @ 16.5 mph
Thursday: Ran with the XC team, 7 miles total with 4x800 run "Indian Style." 21 minute cool-down
Friday: off
Saturday: 10 miles @ 8:15

3 comments:

cope said...

Dude, where have you been? I haven't seen a post from you in awhile. You haven't left us runners for new triathlete friends have you?

Bert said...

Yeah watch out Fish, you don't want to go over to the tri-side all the way... just kidding. Looks like some pretty good running mixed in there. Half marathons are fun, they just need a better name.

go annie said...

Wow, I can't believe your race is tomorrow! Excited?

That's an ingenious idea to do your runs around the house while still keeping an eye on the boys.

I've planted the girls in the middle of the track before to run my laps.

Ok, I'm going to catch up on your other posts...