Monday, September 1, 2008

Katfishin' with Kyler

Decided to head out on the river last night to do some catfishing. I'm back to the real world tomorrow, so it was my last chance to get out before I'm back in the school routine.

I took my buddy Matt and my son Kyler along. We got to the river just before dark and rigged up. It was a nice cool evening and the river was flowing calmly. It was also down from the last two times I was out.

We no sooner got Matt's and Kyler's lines in the water when Kyler struck into his first Catfish. At first he wasn't sure what happened. It was funny, because he said, "hey, what was that." I took the rod from him and knew he had a fish. I gave the rod back to him. He reeled with all his might, and landed his first channel cat of about 2-3 pounds.

About this time, it started to become dark and the temps went down quickly. I thought it was a perfect evening, but to a seven year old, the world became a scary place. It didn't help that he was tired. So, after his first fish, he was ready to pack it in. I convinced him to stay a little longer for Matt's sake and Matt ended up catching two nice fish. Kyler photographed the one pictured below.

3 comments:

FishrCutB8 said...

Nice Fish...and I know Fish!

Van 1- Hall said...

a 2-3 lber is a nice cat for a first timer! Welcome back to the real world man! Back to school, back to school...

go annie said...

Congratulations little Kyler on your big fish! That's very impressive and it's so cool you're out fishing with your dad :)