Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Road To Boston X

I had my best week of training since the fall marathon season this week. I rested on Monday, then did speed work on the track Tuesday, which consisted of 2 sets of 6x400 meters at 1:35 (6:20 mile pace). I did them all and felt great, my foot only stiffened a little afterwards. Wednesday I was in the pool for 2300 yards. I was doing another workout given to me by a student in my class. The interesting thing about this one was a "hypoxic" set at the end. This is where you swim lengths without taking a breath. I did 6x25. The first one felt as if someone lengthened the pool, but they got easier after that. I like to think it is because I was swimming more efficiently, but it could have been because I was resting more. Thursday I went for a tempo run: 2 miles easy; 3 miles @ 7:10 then 1 mile easy. Again, My foot felt fine. Over the weekend, Tina and I went to Philadelphia. She had a Pilates class and seminar in the morning, so I went to Valley Forge National Park and did an 18 miler. Running in the park was a nice diversion from my usual routes/routine. I've included a map of my run below. As you can see, I had to run around the park twice.
Today I "recovered" by going on a 33 mile bike ride. I was going to go 20, but it was so nice that I decided to go 25, then 30, and ended up going even further. I averaged around 16.4 mph, which I'm happy with seeing as how I ran 18 miles yesterday, it is winter and I had a killer head wind on my return home.

Up this week, a resumption of FIRST marathon training, but I won't do a long run (well, not too long) on Saturday as I'm signed up for the Tri To Help Indoor Triathlon on Sunday.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

GB said...

Glad your foot isn't giving you any problems anymore. Your running is looking solid!