Monday, August 13, 2007

Marathon Season IV

After my poor long run last Saturday, I redeemed myself. I thought Tuesday's speed work was going to be a bust, because of the weather and the fact that I got out of bed Tuesday morning stiff. Even the run to the track seemed a bit laborious, but I actually warmed up and did my speed work, which consisted of 2 x 1200s and 4 x 800s, under pace. Wednesday, I went for a 28 mile ride and averaged over 17 miles per hour despite temperartures close to 90 degrees. Thursday was tempo day, and I ran my five mile run 15 seconds under pace. Later, the boys and I went to Universal and I swam 1000 yards. Took it easy on Friday with some light lifting. Saturday was a 20 miler. I traded in my cloth sweat band for a sweat gutter and went back to Power Gels. I was supposed to run at 8:45 pace, but I ran at 8:16. I'm not sure if it was the sweat gutter, or if it was the Power Gels, but I'm sure temperatures in the 60s had a lot to do with the improved time. Wrapped things up on Sunday with a 40 mile ride. My last long ride before the Covered Bridge Metric Century. I had to purchase a new pair of riding shorts today, because my butt is sore. I'm hoping the new shorts, with better padding, alleviate some discomfort when doing long rides.

Up this week: speed work on Tuesday, swimming on Wednesday, tempo work Thursday, a 13 miler on Saturday (I never thought I'd look forward to having to run only 13 miles) and the Covered Bridge Ride on Sunday.

No comments: