Monday, August 6, 2007

Marathon Season III

Another injury free week of training. I did 1600m repeats (3 @6:40 w/ a 1 minute rest interval), a tempo run and a long run of 18 miles. The long run this week was my hardest one yet. I'm not sure why. I have run longer and I have run faster, but for some reason my body just wasn't ready for 18 miles @ 8:45 pace. A couple of factors may contributed to this: I wore a headband which seemed to trap heat coming off my gourd; I used GU packets instead of Power Gels, which I normally use; and I was carrying extra water, because of the heat and humidity. Then again, maybe it was the heat and humidity. According to the weatherman, this coming week is going to be more of the same, so I guess I better get ready and hydrate properly. Also, in preparation for my metric century ride I increased my mid-weeek biking mileage to 25 miles and rode 30 miles on my weekend ride.

Up this week: speed work on Tuesday; 25 mile ride on Wednesday; tempo run on Thursday; 20 miler on Saturday and a 40 mile ride on Sunday.

2 comments:

FishrCutB8 said...

Better that you're figuring these things out now, with re: to nutrition, head bands, etc.

Fishmagic said...

Yeah, I'm really thinking the head band was the worst culprit. I just ordered my sweatgutr (their spelling) and plan to have Power Gels for this coming long run.