Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tri Tri Again

I've been enjoying myself since training for the Boston Marathon, but this is not to say that I haven't been training at all. I have two sprint triathlons coming up in about a week: The Pinchot Park Triathlon is on the 18th and the Got the Nerve Triathlon is on the 24th.

Triathlons are fun to train for as the workouts are varied. I have been trying to swim, bike and run at least two times each week. Most of this I can do first thing in the morning with the exception of my mid-week bike ride, which I try to do Wednesday evenings. This workout is about the only one that is done when the rest of the family is awake.

If I ever had to give advice to someone as to what the best way to get in shape was, I would probably say training for a sprint triathlon. It gives you focus, yet the distances are not that daunting. Furthermore, the variety in training alleviates injury, works all parts of the body and prevents boredom. Here is a typical week for me:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Swim (2000 yards)
Wednesday: Run in the morning; bike in the evening (3-6 miles w/speed or tempo work; 20-30 miles)
Thursday: Swim (2000 yards)
Friday: Rest (or bike or run depending what the weekend plans are)
Saturday: Long run (8-12 miles)
Sunday: Long bike (30-40 miles)

1 comment:

FishrCutB8 said...

Good luck in your tris....