Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tight Lines

Been so wrapped up in Training for Boston that I didn't get much fishing in this year. That changed this weekend. I took the boys out to our favorite farm pond on Friday evening and we had a ball fishing for sun fish.

Went to the store and bought some night crawlers then headed out to the pond. Got there around 6:30 and things were slow at first. Tristan hooked up first with a spunky bluegill and it wasn't long until Kyler got one. Kyler is now able to bait his own hook and cast fairly well. He is developing the instincts for fishing, but Tristan has the innate ability to catch fish despite a short attention span. Some people just have that knack for catching fish. He caught three sunfish and a large mouth rather quickly then said, "daddy, I'm tired of playing fishing," then proceeded to explore the environs of the pond. Kyler meanwhile was getting a bit frustrated, so I helped him catch a few fish including a nice large mouth.

After Kyler caught his large mouth, he decide to join Tristan and explore, and gave his rod to me. The bobber went under and I set the hook. as I was reeling in a bluegill it was mauled by a nice large mouth and I let it take out line. I thought I had it, but it it disgorged the bluegill and swam away leaving the bluegill in bad shape. It's always interesting when a large fish attacks the fish you caught, but it's rare to land a fish that has taken the hooked fish. After this incident, I put on a Heddon torpedo, but was only able to catch two large bluegills.

This evening my friend Scot and his girlfriend came for supper. Afterwards, we headed down to the Donegal for some trout fishing. It was great to get out. I rigged up with my favorite nymph - a silver bead head - and on my second cast hooked into a nice trout that immediately tore me off. I put on some new tippet and another bead head and in the next pool caught a beautiful wild brown about 15". Fished for about another half hour before dark, but was unable to hook another fish. Oh well, it was nice to get out, and now that the days are getting longer, and I'm not as consumed with training, I'll be able to get out a little more.


1 comment:

Van 1- Hall said...

thats awesome! I need to get out this weekend and go.