Sunday, September 2, 2007

Marathon Season VII

After my long run last week, I wasn't sure how I'd do this week. My quads were in bad shape as a result of taking on the 3 "H's". As I mentioned in post VI, I did have a good ride last Sunday which sent me into the week with confidence.

Tuesday's track workout cocnsisted of a 1600m @ 6:31, a 3200m @ 6:47, then two 800m @ 6:26. After a warm-up run I began the 1600 and I actually felt good. I ended up running those four laps at about 6:26. After that, I was fine, but still didn't want to push too hard, because of the brutal long run. I ran the other intervals at around target pace. I swam on Wednesday morning, and put in 1500 yards. I am happy with my ability to swim longer, but I still need to work on getting faster, which comes down to taking some lessons. After the marathon, I may make that a priority. I just hope I can find someone willing to train me at 5:30 in the morning.

Thursday was tempo work: 1 mile easy, 4 miles @ 7:30 and then 1 mile easy. I felt good and pushed a little and averaged about 7:08 per mile.

Saturday was a 20 miler and what a difference a week makes. Well, a week and a 25 degree drop in temperature as well as a drop in humidity. Decided to run a little differently. Instead of strapping on a Camelback and going on a 20 miler through the countryside, I ran seven 3 mile loops. By doing this, I eliminated the weight on my back and was able to turn my house into an aid station. Every time I ran by, I drank and/or ate something. Everything worked well and I was able to average a 7:48 pace. With over a month to go until the marathon, I beleive I'm going to change my goal pace from an 8:00 minute mile to a 7:50. This should have me crossing the line around 3:25.00. The nice thing is, I'll have five minutes to play with to meet the Boston Qualifying time of 3:30.

Today I went out on my bike and set a new average speed PR over 20 miles: 19.1 mph. I have been trying to crack into the 19 mph range for a half of a year and today everything worked out.

I'm going to train moderately this week, because of the Harrisburg Half Maraton next Sunday. Goal: 1:36.

No comments: