Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Vacation, So Far

I can't believe how fast this summer is going by. I'll be back in school before I know it, and, as usual, before I'm ready.

After the backpacking trip, the boys and I had a week together without camps, or other obligations. At the end of the week, we departed for our family vacation at Rehoboth Beach, DE. We left on Friday, and again, stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Dover. To the boys, this is one of the highlights. They love the novelty of staying in hotels, and the indoor pool.

We departed for Rehoboth around noon, and conveniently arrived at DFH Brewing by 1:30 for lunch. After lunch, we were able to check in.

We had a great week. I was able to race two 5Ks (results at the end), and ride and run during the week. The boys enjoyed the boardwalk, Funland and the Midway Water Park, and Tina enjoyed relaxing and reading. We all enjoyed the beach, Grottos Pizza, Dos Locos and watching the Spain v. Germany match at the Rehoboth Ale House. We extended vacation slightly by going to the Phillies game on Sunday, 7/11, where we witnessed the final game in a four game sweep of the Reds. On the way home, we stopped at Victory to celebrate the victory. On another note, I completed a brew pub hat trick in two weeks: Selinsgrove Brewing, DFH and Victory, three of my favorites, within two weeks.

Upon returning, Tina prepared for and departed on a trip to CA. The boys and I held down the fort and decided to go on a camping trip with my buddy Kyle F. and his son Jackson. We selected Twin Grove Park in Pine Grove, PA as our destination. Twin Grove is located in the Appalachian Mtns. and affords both modern amenities with close proximity to a state park and game lands. We took advantage of both by fossil hunting and hiking on Saturday morning in the parks/gamelands and swimming in the pool as well as playing at the arcade and hitting the links, okay mini links, in the afternoon. I always enjoy camping, as do the boys, and we are looking to our next outing in two weeks.


Other than hanging out at the pool, another soccer camp for Kyler, and riding/running/swimming, that's the summer so far. Soccer season is just around the corner, the Livestrong Ride is fast approaching, and the Speedwell Triathlon looms in two months.

Race Results
I successfully defended my 2nd place AG finish in the Jimmy's Grill 5K, and my 1st place AG finish in the Seashore Striders 5K. Both races set attendance records: Jimmy's was the largest 5K at the beach, and the Seashore Striders race was the largest it has been.

No comments: