Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tenkara: The Rod Arrives

I received my new Tenkara rod yesterday, and as a former Marine its arrival couldn't have been more ironic. Yesterday I read in the paper that ceremonies were underway on Iwo Jima to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the World War II battle that took place on that Island. So, in a historical reversal, the Japanese landed in Mount Joy.

Getting a new fly rod is always exciting, but I was particularly excited to get my Tenkara rod, primarily because it represents a new venture in a sport that enjoy. It will be fun to learn a new style of fly fishing that is practiced on an island that I visited years ago. At that time, however, I was totally unaware of the practice of Tenkara.

The rod fits in a small tube about 18" long, and before the rod is extended it is only about 16" long. These are ideal dimensions for backpacking. I also purchased a Tenkara line. Everything else that I will need to get started, I already have. I plan on using the tippet that I currently use, and I will also use flies that have worked for me on mountain trout streams in the past, including an Enckster (my name for my creation) and a parachute Adams.

I wish I could get out and try the new rod, but that will have to wait at least a few more days.

4 comments:

Tony K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony K said...

Can't wait for the weather to warm up here in Chicago so I can order one as well! Am afraid if I order one now I will be out on a frozen pond casting on the ice!!

Michael Agneta said...

You're going to love your new tenkara rod. Also glad to see it growing in PA (I live in Limerick). I picked up an 11' Iwana last fall and have found myself fishing it more than all of my other tackle combined. The simplicity is what drew me in, when I found I actually could catch fish this way...all the better.

Van 1- Hall said...

awesome-o...i have a tournament in on the 20th...heading to the lake where the world record smallie was caught...i love Dale Hollow!