Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring, and all that

The pleasant weather we have been having this week, combined with DST, has put a new "spring" in my step. It's time to think about, or rather get serious about, spring triathlons, and trout. These two things aren't connected, but are both things that come to mind now that we are 2/3 of the way through March. I guess I should also start thinking about mowing the grass, and cleaning up the yard as well.

I was only going to compete in one triathlon this spring, Got The Nerve, but I have decided to compete in the Hempfield triathlon as well. They are a month apart, and both are within 15 minutes of my house, so what the heck.

Training has been going well, only a slight annoyance in the groin area, which doesn't seem to be a problem when I swim, bike or run, but last evening, while throwing ball with my son, I tweaked it when I lunged to catch a pitch. I was supposed to see a surgeon in Philly in April concerning what I think, and symptoms indicate, is an athletic pubalgia, but my insurance company doesn't want to pay for the MRI. They want more documentation. Guess I'll get through the next two months, train as much as I can, then go to the family doctor who will tell me to rest and take anti-inflamatories. If I do this enough, perhaps someone will authorize an MRI.

As for trout fishing, I still haven't been able to get the new Tenkara rod out. Monday, however, if the weather permits, I might fish Manada creek, and see if I can land my first salmonid "Japanese style." My buddy Scot H. had a good night on Manada last evening. I was thinking of hitting the Donegal, but since I have the day off, and a little time, I think I'll hit Manada, because it is hard to get there otherwise.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to backpacking this weekend with Kyler. We're going to hike into the Peters Mountain shelter located on the AT north of Harrisburg. I'll have a write-up and photos Monday. Hopefully, I'll also be able to report on the Tenkara experience.

No comments: