Monday, February 22, 2010

Winter Wonderland

For those living in the Mid-Atlantic region, you know that we have had a lot of snow this winter. I, for one, have enjoyed the change of pace and the chance to engage in activities that usually involve travel to snowier places.

For the first time in 10 years, I was able to use the snowshoes that my wife picked up at EMS on a rental equipment clearance sale. With two feet on the ground, last weekend's tramp through Chiques Park with my buddy Chris R. was quite enjoyable using the snowshoes.

The new trail along the Susquehanna River has proven to be a great place to go to cross-country skiing. The access is still somewhat limited, so not to many people are using it. The tracks that skiers have made are sticking around since the hikers are not trampling them, and because they don't receive direct sunlight. I was able to get out two weekends in a row, and as long as the rain is not too bad later today, hopefully I'll get out next weekend as well.

Another benefit to the amount of snow on the ground is that even though it warmed up enough to go for a ride this past weekend, I was riding through a nice white backdrop. On Sunday, in fact, I almost pulled off a classic double: XC skiing in the morning and cycling in the afternoon.

It will be nice to get out on the track again, and to get in some more rides, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy the change of pace afforded by the winter weather. Coincidentally, I purchased a new pair of Northface Chilkat boots in anticipation of even more snow, but, they are due to arrive this afternoon, and the forecast, as I have said, is calling for rain. Nothing like ordering a new pair of winter boots to jinx the snowfall totals, and to hasten the arrival of spring.

No comments: