Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tenkara

A few weeks ago I came across a website promoting the art of Tenkara, or Japanese fly fishing. I was intrigued, and two days ago I finally decided to buy a Tenkara rod and give it a try, especially on mountain brook trout streams. I ordered the rod from Tenkara USA. I specifically purchased the 11' Iwana along with a traditional Japanese fly line.

Part of the appeal of this new endeavor is the simplicity of the set-up, and it's practical use as a lightweight rod for backpacking. It also hearkens back to my days of fishing for chubs (venerable chubs as Walton wrote) on the Conoy Creek in Elizabethtown. I spent many hours with nothing more than a stick, a piece of monofillament, a hook and dough balls beguiling many a shiner and dace. Occasionally, when the fish gods smiled, I'd catch a sucker or a sunfish.

My rod is currently in transit, and with the approaching storm, I won't be trying it out anytime soon. I hope to make updates throughout the spring to share my success, or failure with his new technique. Stay posted, in the meantime enjoy this video:

3 comments:

Bert said...

Nice video, enjoyed it! Good luck with the new rod.

cstewart35 said...

I don't think you can fail with tenkara. It's just too simple and intuitive.

Chris Stewart
http://www.tenkarabum.com

Van 1- Hall said...

that does remind me of the good ole simpler days...let me know how it goes!

fish on!