Monday, September 14, 2009

Speedwell Triathlon

Three weeks ago, I banged my shoulder up in the Livestrong Ride, and was glad that I hadn't signed up for the Marshman Triathlon. Two weeks ago, I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to to try and enter the Speedwell Sprint triathlon, which I was able to do. The night before the race, I got an even bigger wild hair up my ass and decided to once and for all get the monkey off my back, so I transferred into the Olympic event.

Race Day

Conditions were wet and muddy in the transition area. The temperature was in the mid 60s and there was a steady drizzle. The water temperature was 65.

I arrived about 1 hour and 45 minutes early, which gave me plenty of time to set up and hob nob with my fellow racers. at about 7:30 a.m. I went for a mile warm-up run then returned and donned my wetsuit for the swim. After the race announcements it was down to the lake.

Swim

This was the real monkey on my back, a 1 mile swim in open water. It wasn't so much the distance, but open water swims tend make me a little crazy. There is something about being in murky water and not being able to get your bearings that drives me nuts. Nonetheless, there I was, and when the gun went off I began to swim, and swim, and swim. And, to be honest, it wasn't bad. I was able to get into a rhythm much faster than in a sprint and I was very relaxed. My time was a little slow, 30 minutes, but for my first swim, I was pleased as I swam a little faster than my usual 2:00 per hundred yards. I was a little wobbly getting out of the water and back onto land, but my transition was right around 2:00.

Bike

I didn't know how to pace myself on the bike knowing that I had to run a 10k as opposed to a 5k, so I took it a little easy, which was probably good because of the road conditions. I was passed by very few people and managed to do my share of passing on the long slow climbs up Long Lane. I managed an 18.7 mph pace, which looking back was a little to slow, because I had pretty much left in the tank when I started the run.

Run

6.2 miles over a tough, hilly course. I did well here and finished in the top 25 of all competitors (I'm not counting those people who ran as a relay) in this event. I managed a 7:13 pace, and could have managed that even if I would have pushed a little harder on the bike.

Results and Final Comments

*2:43:58; 59th place overall; 8th in my age group

* Need a little more work in open water swimming, but that will come with experience. The monkey has been removed, I'm ready for another Olympic event.

* Could have pushed a litle harder on the bike, eased up a little too much when I wasn't around other competitors.

* Running is my bread and butter, but I have to put myself in a little better position by improving in the first two events.

* Volunteers were great; course was fine by me. I'll do it next year.

* Semper Fi and OOHRAH!! to Chris Kaag the race director.