Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lancaster County XC 5K Race Report

After the Iron Bridge Run with Kyler, I decided to run another XC race, and push it, so I registered for the Lancaster County XC 5K, which is held on Manheim Township's XC course. I heard this was a tough course, but still set a goal to go under 20 minutes. I have a streak going right now, and I was sure that I could keep it going.

My buddy Chop L. and I arrived at the race about an hour early, and decided to go run part of the course for a warm-up and to reconnoiter the route. After the warm-up run, I quickyl ammended my expectation of running under 20:00.

The gun went off at 10:00, and I went out at a quick pace, maybe a bit too quick, but I felt good and ran the first mile @ 5:51 - my last good mile. The rest of the course consisted of steep hills, poor footing and strong head winds. It was by far the toughest 5K I ever ran. I managed to hang on the last two miles, and crossed the line in 20:44. This was good enough for 13th place, and a 2nd place medal in my age group (40-49).

No comments: