Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pichot Triathlon, June 2010

I wasn't planning on signing up for more than one spring triathlon, but after Gretna I wasn't happy with my performance. It wasn't bad given I had a knee injury which hampered my training, but it was not the performance I wanted to end with, so I signed up for Pinchot again. And, Pinchot has always been "beddy, beddy good to me."

Pre-race

Nothing out of the ordinary. Up at 4:30, bowl of cereal, cup of coffee, and a bathroom break, then I was out the door, and off to Pinchot. I arrived around 6:00 a.m., which gave me plenty of time for packet pick-up, set-up and a warm-up, both on the bike and running. I also had time to talk to, and to help, my buddy Dave L. who was competing in his first tri (He finished well despite cramps, way to go Dave, congrats!)

Swim

For a sprint, Pinchot's swim is long, a half mile. Also, it varies depending on who set's up the course. Last year I swam the course in under 15 minutes, so I think it was a little short. This year seemed more like a true half mile. I was relaxed in the water, and stayed with the pack for the most part, and hit T1 at 16:36, which is around 1:53 per 100 yards. I am now consistently swimming under 2:00 per 100 yards, which I'm happy about.

Bike

I'm still a little slow on the bike, but I did manage to come in under an hour for 18 miles. I held my own, but was passed by two people in my age group. One, I couldn't close the gap, the other, I maintained contact with. Time: 58:33

Run

The effort I expended to achieve a sub-1 hour bike was felt on the run. This has been my biggest problem with the lack of bike training time. I can push on the bike, but I have been having problems transitioning to the run. It takes me longer to get my legs back under me. Nonetheless, I was able to quickly catch and pass the two riders who passed me on the bike. I then opened up a gap, and was able to cruise to the finish. Time: 22:03

T1/T2

Good here: 1:21/:53

Results and Final Comments

Time: 1:39:26; 18th overall; 2nd in AG. Hardware, Woohoo!!!!!
Another great Pinchot race, thanks CF Foundation and volunteers.

No comments: