Monday, May 31, 2010

GTN Triathlon, 2010

After having to take a DNS in April at the Hempfield Triathlon, I was ready to get the first triathlon of 2010 under my belt. I felt pretty good, and well trained, but I wasn't sure how good of biking shape I was in.

Pre-Race

I picked up my packet the evening before, so on Saturday morning I was ready to go. I arrived at the race by 6:30 a.m., and had plenty of time to warm-up, which consisted of a 4 mile ride, and about a half mile of running and form drills. I saw a lot friendly faces and enjoyed catching up with everyone. I ate a fruit bar, and had a Red Bull prior to the start.

Swim

I was in the 9th wave, which was good from the standpoint that I had plenty of time to get ready, but later, on the course, it was tough navigating around all the competitors that I caught up to. Last year, and the years before, the men started first, then the women. This seemed better to me. I'm not a world-class athlete, but I was rapidly overtaking women, and in somewhat of a dangerous manner. As for the swim itself: it was my best swim ever, and I PRd by almost a minute. The laps in the pool are starting to pay off. Time: 9:40.

Bike

Started out well, but with about 2-3 miles to go, the 3 weeks of training that I lost, because of my knee injury, became evident. I just didn't have the gas at the end. My bike time was about 1-2 minutes off, and I wasn't able to finish as strong. The ride took a lot out of me, and I felt it on the run. I did, however, manage a 19.5 mph pace.

Run

Not so bad. went under 7:00, 6:54, but, I cramped on the false flat on the run. It wasn't t the point where I had to stop, but I could feel it.

Final Results

78th overall; 11th in Age Group. I was happy. Up next, Pinchot.

No comments: