Sunday, May 24, 2009

Got the Nerve Triathlon 2009

GTN number three for me yesterday. I was a bit apprehensive after last Sunday's triathlon, because 1) my biking seemed to be slipping a little, and 2) I cramped during the run , which left my quads sore for the first half of the week.

Up at my usual time, had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. Proceeded to the race around 5:30 and was checked in, body marked and set-up in the transition area by 6:30. This gave me plenty of time to warm-up and socialize. Triathlons, as well as road races, as I have said before , are movable feasts - only the venue changes.

I added two new things to pre-race preparation: first, I rode my bike for about 15 minutes, and second, I drank a Red Bull. It used to be that I would only run for my warm-up, but the short ride as well as a short run seemed to better prepare the muscles. As for the Red Bull, I have read numerous reports that a little caffeine before a race can enhance endurance. I used to drink coffee before a race, and still have a cup first thing, but too much coffee - which, because of habit, I tend to imbibe to excess - seemed to leave me a bit dry in the mouth for some reason. Thus, I experimented with a small Red Bull 30 minutes before the gun.

Swim

I think I could probably write the same thing here for all my races so far. I was planning to go gang-busters at the start to get out in front, so I could get a little separation, and hopefully get into my rhythm faster, but I ended up being conservative. This didn't hurt me that much, but it cost me at least two places. The problem seems to be, that I get out there in the open water, then get disoriented, and two, pre-race jitters cause me to get out of rhythm. In a pure foot race, pre-jitters aren't a problem, in fact, they help me start well. In swimming though, especially for me, a new swimmer it messes with my stroke. I did learn, however, that breathing every second stroke, may be better than my practiced bi-lateral, every third stroke approach. I came about this by accident, but it seems that in a sprint, the breathing on every second stroke might be an advantage. The bi-lateral breathing may be better for longer swims. Nonetheless, I finished better than over half my age group, and lowered my time by two minutes from last year. Time, 10:53, for a 2:11 pace (this includes a rather long transition run).

Bike

I was worried about the bike, but I made a major change to my style, which made a significant difference in time. My friend Bill L. suggested trying a set of TT bars, which he helped me procure during the week. We had trouble finding a pair to fit my OS bars, but he came through by the end of the week - thanks, Bill, I owe you a beer. Friday night before the race, I mounted them and went spinning around my neighborhood to get a feel for them. The new bars were also a reason, I went for a warm-up ride. All I can say is WOW!!. I always thought that bars would help a little, but I was able to add almost .5 to 1.0 MPH to my riding by getting into a tuck. I had the best ride ever, 20.4 MPH on a hilly course.

Run

Not much to report here except one big thing. I felt good off the bike, and for the first time, I went under a 7:00 pace for the run, WOOHOO!!!! A 6:42 pace, which is only 20 seconds per mile slower than I ran my fastest 5K last year. (Now I need to enter a 5K and see if I can lower my time)

Results and Final Comments

* Overall place, 51st, 6th in my age group

* PRs, all around (not a swim PR, or a bike PR, but PRs for the course): Swim 10:53, 2:11 pace; Bike 47:21, 20.4 MPH; and run, 20:47, 6:42 pace. My only faster bike was in Harrisburg, which is a flat course.

* I didn't place in the top three this year, but I'm much happier with my performance.

* There were 100 more competitors on the course this year (700 total), and Chris Kagg, the race director handled the race with aplomb. Great event, great volunteers, Semper Fi, Chris, and OOHRAH!!!

The photos below were taken by Phil M., Thanks, Phil.

No comments: