Monday, July 21, 2008

Catfish Triathlon, Harrisburg, PA

The Catfish Triathlon - 1000 yard swim, 14.5 mile bike, 2.8 mile run - was held this past Sunday on City Island in Harrisburg, PA. I woke up at 4:50, drank some coffee, packed last minute gear and headed to Harrisburg for the 7:00 a.m. start. I wanted to be there at least an hour to an hour and a half ahead of time to warm-up and relax. On the way out, I noticed the temperature was 81 degrees. This was almost 40 degrees warmer than the last two triathlons I did back in May.

Swim

After checking in, securing a spot in the transition area and warming up, I made my way to the north end of City Island to get ready for the swim. The swim was down river. I wasn't sure what to expect, because the water seemed low. The first wave went off at 7:00 and the second wave, my wave, made our way out into the river. After wading offshore about 20 yards the water was over my head, but not by much. I treaded water for about a minute, then wave 2 was off. It was really nice swimming with a current. It was easy to get into a rhythm, and I never felt as though I was exerting too much energy. I probably should have tried to swim faster, but I still tend to hold back in this part of the race and it always forces me to play catch-up later on. Although I'm comfortable swimming longer distances, I still don't know how hard to push. After proceeding downstream away from the starting area the water became more shallow. It was also clear and I was able to spot numerous aquatic organisms as I swam over them. It was also easy to stay on track. For one thing, the bedrock and faults in the bedrock are perpendicular to the current, so all I had to do was stay perpendicular to the bedrock and I knew I was heading straight. Second, the course was linear and parallel to the shore. We passed under three bridges, and right after the third one was a boat ramp, and that was our exit. Came out of the water feeling good and wasn't disoriented like I tended to be in past races.

Bike

When I got to the transition area, about half the bikes were gone, so once again, I was too slow in the swim and had to start playing catch-up. The bike course was flat, and I thought that was going to be nice, which it was, but it didn't work to my advantage. I started out in my small crank and spun at a high cadence and was able to maintain about 21-22 mph for the first part of the course. I slowly reeled in a few riders, but not many. At the half way point I switched to my large crank, and picked up speed, but still only picked off a few riders. Usually on the bike, I pick off a lot of riders, but then I realized, without hills, where I'm fairly strong, the other riders didn't slow down. When I got back to the transition, however, I noticed not too many bikes were back, so this was a good sign. I moved up more than I thought.

Run

Ughh! My legs were really shot after the bike ride. I was originally hoping to start out at around a 6:55 pace, but couldn't get my legs under me, and didn't get them under me until about the 1.5 mile mark.. After that, I was really able to pick up speed and caught a lot of other runners including at least three in my age group. All in all, the run wasn't too bad and I finished strong, but I didn't run as fast as I wanted to.

Results and Final Comments

* Not sure of my overall place yet, but I was 5th in my age group. I'm waiting for the results to be posted, because I want to see if it was, in fact, the swim that set me back.

This just in: I was actually 4th in my age group (53rd overall). And yes, It was the swim that did me in. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place all swam in 16:00 or less while my swim was in 22:00...the 4th fastest time in my age group. Gotta work on that swim.

* First swim without a wetsuit. I'm gaining more confidence here, and not having to mess with the wetsuit, shortens the transition.

* Flat vs. hilly course: riding this course was essentially a time trial, which required a constant pedal stroke. Also, my position in the saddle didn't change much. I felt it was actually harder to go from bike to run on this course, because there was no opportunity to coast or to change positions during the ride. A hilly course favors me more.

* I need to do some more brick workouts.

* I need to open up my swim. Guess I'm going to have to do longer pool intervals.

* Very well run triathlon with great volunteers. I recommend this one.

* Up next, the Marshman Sprint Triathlon in Downingtown.

5 comments:

Van 1- Hall said...

was there a catfish dinner afterwards?? or at least a nice shirt with a catfish on a bike?? Congrats fish!! Im actually "enjoying" the bike. Went for a 26 miler yesterday and legs felt pretty good this morning, my underside, now thats another story!

Fishmagic said...

No, there wasn't a catfish dinner, but I'm fishing for catfish this evening. There was a catfish on the shirt. Invest in a good pair of biking shorts.

go annie said...

Great job Kurt! I love that you write a little post-evaluation after each of your races. Did you get your time results yet? It would be interesting to see how you did on the swim...

jcpombo said...

Hey duder! Results are posted!!! You came in 4th in your age group! Good race...I agree, that it is harder to run after because of the consistent effort on the bike-See you in September...

FishrCutB8 said...

I have not done that race because in the past it was not very well run. Glad to see that has changed. Good luck with the swimming thing...