Monday, June 18, 2007

Going Down to Liverpool

"I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
all the days of my life."

Spent the last part of last week at my Dad's and Kim's place in Liverpool, PA. Had a great time; it's always relaxing up there. I don't have any photos, but Kyler created a journal of his experiences and I'm including his art work.

On Thursday we boarded the Roaring Bull No. 5 and headed across the Susquehanna to Millersburg. It was the third time in my life that I crossed the river on a ferry boat. I remember as a kid going across with my grandparents but then didn't cross again until two years ago.

In Millersburg, we visited the Ned Smith Center. What a great place. The grounds are beautiful.There is currently an Audobon exhibit in the gallery, which is definetely worth seeing. We had to move quickly, because what is fascinating to me is not always fascinating to a 3 year old. The kids were more interested in getting outside and running around, which we did.

Thursday night was the Liverpool carnival. The kids rode all the rides and played games to the strains of Shamma Lamma. A slice of Americana on the banks of the Susquehanna.

Friday, we headed over to Lake Tobias Wildlife park. I wasn't sure what to expect. Everyone I spoke to said it was really nice, but I still had reservations. I am now disabused. The park was beautiful and very clean. The animals were well tended and had a lot of room. They also appeared very healthy. We took a "safari" through the grounds and saw numerous, hoofed animals and large flightless birds. During one stop, I looked up the hillside and five Emus came trotting down the through the grass which reminded me of a scene in Jurassic Park.

No comments: